What is a Non-Resident Importer (NRI)?
A company that has registered for the program that is:
- A U.S. company that doesn't have a physical presence in Canada.
- A U.S.-based company that acts as both the exporter from the U.S. and the importer of shipments into Canada.
When it comes to U.S. trading partners, Canada ranks high. In fact, Canada and the U.S. are each other's largest trading partners and with the FedEx Trade Networks NRI program, it's easier than ever for U.S. companies to import their products into Canada.
Getting started is easy
Let FedEx Trade Networks guide you through the process. We have the expertise to:
- Evaluate your logistics requirements, regardless of whether they involve the movement of goods, warehousing or customs clearance.
- Register and verify your Canadian Business Number, which is necessary to clear goods through Canada customs.
- Provide you with important information on the rules and regulations surrounding Goods and Services Tax (GST), along with specific contact information for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Advise you on how to accurately complete your customs documents so they comply with customs requirements.
- Provide you with information on the maintenance of Books and Records requirements by Canada customs.
- Perform product database checks to review whether correct codes were applied.
Have you ever considered the advantages of becoming an NRI?
By becoming an NRI, U.S. companies become the Importer of Record into Canada and have their Canadian sales resemble a domestic transaction. Our NRI program is well suited for U.S. companies that sell directly to Canadian consumers, retailers and businesses.