July 31, 2018
Comment Period Open for Proposed Tariffs on Chinese Merchandise
On July 11, 2018, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) published a request for comments and notice of public hearing regarding a proposed 10% duty rate for an additional 6,031 tariff lines covering $200 billion worth of products from China. The latest list of proposed products is included in the notice as an Annex and is in addition to the tariffs that went into effect on July 6, 2018, and an additional proposed list of products that is still under review.
There are strict deadlines for submitting comments, as noted below:
- July 27, 2018: Due date for filing requests to appear and a summary of expected testimony at the public hearing, and for filing pre-hearing submissions.
- August 17, 2018: Due date for submission of written comments.
- August 20-23, 2018: The Section 301 Committee will convene a public hearing in Washington, D.C.
- August 30, 2018: Due date for submission of post-hearing rebuttal comments.
Comments can be made through the Federal eRulemaking Portal available here. According to the USTR, comments should reference Docket No. USTR-2018-0026 and can cover any aspect of the proposed tariffs. The USTR is seeking feedback on:
- Specific tariff subheadings, including whether those listed should remain or be removed, or if others should be added.
- Duty rate increase amounts (if any).
- The level of trade to be covered by additional duties.
- Whether imposing the increased duties will affect China’s acts, policies or practices regarding trade with the U.S. positively.
Whether imposing additional duties on the listed products will impact the U.S. economy, including businesses and consumers, negatively.
For more information, please contact your local FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage office. For a complete list of office locations, go to http://ftn.fedex.com/us/locations.
Copyright © 2018 by FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage, Inc. Reproduction in whole or in part prohibited except by permission. All rights reserved. Information has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable. However, because of the possibility of human or mechanical error by FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage, Inc. or others, FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage, Inc. and its affiliates do not guarantee the accuracy, adequacy, or completeness of any information and are not responsible for any errors, omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of such information.
If you would like to be added or removed from the Bulletin distribution list, please send an email message to email@example.com and include your name, firm or organization, and Internet email address.